Monday, June 14, 2010

Introduction to PDF/A Standards

Most of you may not familiar with PDF/A standards, neither me, before four months. So I decided to make a post on this to share what I know about PDF/A.

What is PDF/A?
I am sure at least some of you might got into some troubles if you tried to open PDF documents which are in different fonts,and if matching fonts not installed in your computer.This is because that PDF file does not contain embedded fonts. You can embed fonts that are used in the file at the moment of the creation of the file.
Not only fonts but the colour profiles used, and etc.
PDF/A standards ensure the documents can be reproduced in the exact same way, at any place and even after a long time. Current version is PDF/A-1.

DOs and DONT'S in PDF/A-1

PDF/A-1 files must include:
• Embedded fonts
• Device-independent color
• XMP metadata

PDF/A-1 files may not include:
• Encryption
• LZW Compression
• Embedded files
• External content references
• PDF Transparency
• Multi-media
• JavaScript



Levels of Standards
1.       PDF/A-1a: All the requirements of PDF/A-1b + additionally requires that document structure be included being "tagged
2.       PDF/A-1b: ensuring reliable reproduction of the visual appearance of the document



Reference: 
PDF/A FAQ 



I hope to put a post on PDF creation, as soon as I got some time. These days I'm busy with my work at IFS and GSoC.

No comments: