Sunday, January 29, 2012

Desktop Capturing Software for Ubuntu

I had a terrible time finding a good desktop capturing software for Ubuntu, so thought to write a post since I don't want you to get into the same trouble. I first tried "RecordMyDesktop", it is all good other than the format it outputs! As far as I could see, it only output in ".ogv" format. But I wanted to have it in AVI/mpeg format. Then I tried to find a converter. Downloaded some converters, but converted videos were in really bad quality.

This made me to search bit more. Then I found "XVidCap" software, which saved my day! It worked really well, and I recommend you to use it! You can easily search for it in Ubuntu Software Center and install!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's one from KDE as well, name I do not remember. In the case of ogv, you can use ffmpeg to convert it to avi or most of the other formats you need.

Anyway nice to see a blog post after some time of silence. :-)

Nirmal Fernando said...

Hi Kalpa,

I used few converters, but the videos they produced were in really bad quality.

Ya, after a long time! Should start posting regularly!! :)